Octopus Islands Adventure with Coast Mountain Expeditions
Octopus Islands Kayak Tour
Sea Kayaking British Columbia & Vancouver Island Kayaking Provincial Marine Parks Tour
A sea kayaking adventure in British Columbia’s most dynamic marine parks. Kayak BC wilderness on Vancouver Island kayak camping adventure with sea kayak lodge accommodation. For those who want a great wilderness experience and a chance to go sea kayak touring, Coast Mountain’s Octopus Islands Expedition is a splendid Vancouver Island kayaking journey through British Columbia Marine Parks and the protected areas of the Discovery Islands. These islands are the ocean foothills of British Columbia’s highest mountains. Offering inspiring opportunities for discovery, the intricate network of rainforest islands and protected channels are perfect for Vancouver Island kayaking adventure and exploration.
Clear waters and the diverse coastline present a fascinating mosaic of rocky shorelines and shallow coves and some of the most wonderful sea kayaking in British Columbia.
The tidal rapids environment provides exciting paddling and intertidal zones rich with marine life. As we paddle north to the Octopus Islands, we’ll pass from the Georgia Basin into the Johnstone Strait Inland Oceanic ecosection with interesting and observable bio-climatic differences.
This whole archipelago is part of the world’s largest protected Coastal Douglas Fir rainforest ecosystem. On this sea kayaking Vancouver Island expedition we’ll kayak in shallow intertidal waters and see a myriad of colourful sea creatures just below our paddles. We’ll hike to a remote island lake and enjoy swimming surrounded by rainforest.
Our island campsites are places of special beauty and interest. Evening meals around the campfire and starry northern skies round out each day’s adventure. Returning by boat, a warm reception and last evening back at the homestead lodge offers a grand finale to this memorable Vancouver Island kayak tour.
Octopus Islands Sea Kayak Adventure
Sea Kayak Tour in British Columbia Provincial Marine Parks
2017 Tour Dates:
Jun 21 – 26
July 5 – 10
July 20 – 25
Aug 3 – 8
Aug 17 – 22
$1285 Cdn plus 5% GST
Payable by Mastercard, VISA, or cheque
Kayak Trip Details
• Easy to Moderate
• Paddling: 3 to 4.5 hours of kayaking per day
• Single and double kayaks
• Average distance: 9-12 km (6-8 mi) per day.
• Sea conditions: usually calm, rising to max 0.5 metre (1.5 ft)
• Beaches: low sloping sandy gravel or medium boulders;may be slippery when wet.
• Weather conditions: usually sunny, sometimes hot. Extended rain unlikely, but possible.
• Temperature: 12-30 C (50-85 F). Water 8-15 (50-60 F)
• Click here to download the Octopus Islands Chart (pdf 2.9mb)
About this trip
• Trips start with boat ride to Coast Mountain Lodge on Read Island
• Departure 1 pm from Heriot Bay on Quadra Island (near Campbell River on Vancouver Island British Columbia, Canada)
• First & final nights accommodation at Coast Mountain Lodge
• Skills instruction & practice • 4 days/3 nights paddle journey and kayak camping
• Trips finishes with boat-return to Heriot Bay on Quadra Island, about noon on the last day
• Maximum 10 participants with 2 kayak guidesThanks for visiting our website. We hope you’ll come to British Columbia for a Vancouver Island kayaking adventure in British Columbia, Canada!