Marine Parks Sea Kayaking Tour with Coast Mountain Expeditions
A Vancouver Island kayaking tour exploring Quadra Island and Surge Narrows marine park – tour by sea kayak through British Columbia wilderness.
This British Columbia sea kayaking tour is designed to pack maximum adventure into a short expedition exploring some of Vancouver Island’s most fascinating marine environments. Our sea kayaking Vancouver Island tour starts at Discovery Islands Lodge – spectacular oceanfront accommodation in the shadow of British Columbia’s wilderness Coast Mountains.
To begin our Vancouver Island sea kayaking journey, we’ll load up the kayaks and paddle through Surge Narrows – along the forested shores of Okisollo Channel to our campsite in the Octopus Islands. We’ll take the afternoon to meander among picturesque islets, the crystal clear water affords wonderful viewing of the abundant sea creatures that inhabit this dynamic ocean environment. After dining at the water’s edge, we’ll watch the sun set, the moon rise, and sleep under dark skies and a canopy of stars.
Waking in morning’s fresh air we’ll start another day in kayaking paradise, another day to explore! A forest trail, an emerald lake… Discover a myriad of marine life at shoreline tide pools, let eagles and seals be your entertainment. Enjoy the thrill of tide and salt wind, and at the end of our day, savour one more night camping-out in this delightful archipelago.
We round out our islands & nature Vancouver Island sea kayaking adventure with a morning paddle along the beautiful Okisollo channel, returning via Surge Narrows and into the back-eddies of the tidal rapids area to admire the wild beauty and biological diversity of the remote British Columbia Marine Park.
We’ll paddle back to Discovery Islands Lodge by afternoon; time for showers and getaway back to ‘civilization’ — or stay a while longer!
Marine Parks Tour
Sea kayaking British Columbia Vancouver Island sea kayak tour & BC marine parks British Columbia kayak lodge adventure
2017: Custom Group Trips Available
~ Please contact us if you want to organize a trip with your friends!
COST: $659 Cdn plus 5% GST
Payable by Mastercard, VISA or cheque.
Kayak Trip Details
• Easy to Moderate
• Paddling: 3 to 4.5 hours of kayaking per day
• Single and double kayaks.
• Average distance: 9-12 km (6-8 mi) per day.
• Sea conditions: usually calm, rising to max 0.5metre (1.5ft)
• Beaches: low sloping sandy gravel or medium boulders; may be slippery when wet.
• Weather conditions: usually sunny, sometimes hot. Extended rain unlikely, but possible.
• Temperature: 12-30 C (50-85 F). Water 8-15 C (50-60 F)
• Click here to download the Marine Park Tour Chart (pdf 2.8mb)
Getting to Discovery Islands Lodge on Quadra Island
Getting here is part of your vacation adventure! From Campbell River on Vancouver Island, British Columbia, take the 10-minute BC Ferry to Quadra Island. You’ll enjoy a beautiful drive through classic British Columbia wilderness and Quadra Island’s Main Lakes BC Provincial Park. This winding road will take you through Quadra Island’s temperate rainforest, ending near Discovery Islands Lodge, our B&B kayak hostel.
About this trip
• Trip start 9:00 am at Discovery Islands Lodge on Quadra Island (ferry from Campbell River on Vancouver Island British Columbia Canada.)
• 2 Nights kayak camping at BC provincial marine par
• Trip finish afternoon of the last day at Discovery Islands Lodge.
• Maximum: 10 participants & 2 kayak guidesThank you for visiting our website. We hope you’ll come to Vancouver Island for an island adventure sea kayaking British Columbia, Canada!