Marine Parks Tour
A multi-day kayaking tour through two spectacular marine parks, this trip packs maximum adventure into a short time. This trip is a custom tour, with dates to be determined. We require a minimum of 4 participants.
Contact us to arrange your trip.
Easy to moderate
$659 cdn (+5% tax)
Why We Love This Trip
Could this be the most fun you can have in three days? We think so. Our unique location close to both the Surge Narrows and Octopus Islands Marine Parks allows us to explore both areas in a short trip – perfect for those with just a little time. As a bonus, the custom nature of each tour means you get to set your own itinerary.
About the Area
The forested shorelines of Okisollo channel and tightly packed islands of the Octopus Islands and Surge Narrows Marine parks are a kayaking paradise. Hemmed in on all sides by tidally active channels, the islands boast nutrient rich waters which support a stunning array of intertidal marine life as well as birds, seals, porpoises, and sometimes whales. The rocky islets are naturally beautiful camping spots, and nearby lakes offer great opportunities for swimming.
Our trip begins with a rendezvous at our Discovery Islands Lodge B&B Inn on north Quadra Island. We’ll meet our guide, go over our route plan, and enjoy a thorough kayak skills and safety lesson. We’ll load up kayaks from the comfort of the dock before beginning our paddle. We’ll begin by paddling through the Surge Narrows Marine Park where we’ll take time to poke through the myriad of islets and observe the rich ecosystem that the tidally active passages support. We’ll continue our paddle through Okisollo Channel before arriving at the Octopus Islands Marine Park. We’ll select our favourite island to camp on, then relax and enjoy the island vistas. Along the way we’ll travel with high quality kayaking and camping equipment, and will be well fed with lodge-prepared gourmet meals, snacks, and treats.
Next day will be ours to explore the Octopus Islands. We can hike to a forested lake, or devote our entire day to exploring the maze-like group of islands. Last day, we’ll paddle back through the Surge Narrows Marine Park, take some time to explore some new areas, and then return to the lodge for a hot shower. Those looking to extend their trip with a stay at Discovery Islands Lodge should check out our special discounts on accommodation when purchased with a multi-day tour.
• Trip begins 9:00am first day, ends mid-afternoon last day.
• Maximum 10 participants with 2 kayak guides.
• Single and double kayaks: Your choice.
• Easy to moderate: appropriate for just about everyone!
• Paddling: 3 to 5 hours of kayaking per day (8-16 km (4-8 mi)).
• Sea conditions: mostly sheltered but moderate wind and waves possible.
• Beaches: mix of low sloping sandy gravel and rocky shorelines; may be slippery when wet.
• All kayaking equipment
• Group camping gear and shelter
• Tent (you choose single or double)
• Therm-a-Rest inflatable sleeping pad
• Dry bags for personal gear
• All meals & snacks
• Professional skills training & guiding
• Personal clothing and accessories (see our packing list)
• Sleeping bag (available to rent)
• Sense of adventure!