Sea Kayaking British Columbia & Vancouver Island kayaking - experience BC kayak camping!
Octopus Islands Expedition
Sea Kayaking British Columbia & Vancouver Island Kayaking Provincial Marine Parks Tour
A sea kayaking British Columbia marine parks expedition. Kayak BC wilderness with Vancouver Island kayak camping and sea kayak lodge accommodation. For those who want a great wilderness experience and a chance to go sea kayak touring, Coast Mountain’s Octopus Islands Expedition is a splendid Vancouver Island kayaking journey through British Columbia Marine Parks and the protected areas of the Discovery Islands. These islands are the ocean foothills of British Columbia’s highest mountains. Offering inspiring opportunities for discovery, the intricate network of rainforest islands and protected channels are perfect for Vancouver Island kayaking exploration.
Clear waters and the diverse coastline present a fascinating mosaic of rocky shorelines and shallow coves and some of the most wonderful sea kayaking in British Columbia.
The tidal rapids environment provides exciting paddling and intertidal zones rich with marine life. As we paddle north to the Octopus Islands, we'll pass from the Georgia Basin into the Johnstone Strait Inland Oceanic ecosection with interesting and observable bio-climatic differences.
This whole archipelago is part of the world's largest protected Coastal Douglas Fir rainforest ecosystem. On this sea kayaking Vancouver Island expedition we’ll kayak in shallow intertidal waters and see a myriad of colourful sea creatures just below our paddles. We’ll hike to a remote island lake and enjoy swimming surrounded by rainforest.
Our island campsites are places of special beauty and interest. Evening meals around the campfire and starry northern skies round out each day’s adventure. Returning by boat, a warm reception and last evening back at the homestead lodge offers a grand finale to this memorable Vancouver Island kayak tour.
• Trips start with boat ride to Coast Mountain Lodge on Read Island
• Departure 1 pm from Heriot Bay on Quadra Island (near Campbell River on Vancouver Island British Columbia, Canada)
• First & final nights accommodation at Coast Mountain Lodge
• Skills instruction & practice • 4 days/3 nights paddle journey and kayak camping
• Trips finishes with boat-return to Heriot Bay on Quadra Island, about noon on the last day
• Maximum 10 participants with 2 kayak guides
Octopus Islands Sea Kayak Expedition
Sea Kayak Tour in British Columbia Provincial Marine Parks
2013 TOUR DATES:
• July 7-12
• July 21-26
• Aug 11-16
• Sept 1-6
$1125 Cdn plus HST
Payable by Mastercard, VISA, or cheque
About this Kayak Trip
• Easy to Moderate
• Paddling: 3 to 4.5 hours of kayaking per day
• Single and double kayaks
• Average distance: 9-12 km (6-8 mi) per day.
• Sea conditions: usually calm, rising to max 0.5 metre (1.5 ft)
• Beaches: low sloping sandy gravel or medium boulders;may be slippery when wet.
• Weather conditions: usually sunny, sometimes hot. Extended rain unlikely, but possible.
• Temperature: 12-30 C (50-85 F). Water 8-15 (50-60 F)
• Click here to download the Octopus Islands Chart (pdf 2.9mb)
Getting to Quadra Island British Columbia Canada
Please select "how to get here" in the navigation bar.
Thanks for visiting our website. We hope you’ll come to British Columbia for a Vancouver Island kayaking adventure in British Columbia, Canada!
Coast Mountain Expeditions offers sea kayaking Vancouver Island and remote eco lodge accommodation near Vancouver Island British Columbia on the Canada west coast. Our Vancouver Island sea kayak camping wilderness eco tours and sea kayaking lodge adventure vacations start from Quadra Island in the Discovery Islands archipelago east of Campbell River BC. Guided Vancouver Island kayaking expedition include kayak instruction, rainforest kayak lodge accommodation & Vancouver Island sea kayak camping and tours in spectacular island locations. We are one of the original BC sea kayak expedition companies – offering natural wilderness adventures since 1987!